Any type of ring is worn for a specific special purpose. Choosing to wear a ring on the thumb has many different significance and implications just like wearing wedding rings or other types of rings on other fingers. There have been many contradictions and speculations about the meaning of the thumb rings because of its positive and negative connotations.
In the 21st century, it is widely known that wearing a thumb ring describes a person’s sexual orientation. However, the world is a colossal place and there are many different cultures and beliefs that see the ring in other virtues and merits.
- 1 Thumb Rings for Men and Women
- 2 History of Thumb Rings for Men
- 3 Thumb Ring Materials
- 4 Benefits of Wearing Ring on Thumb
- 5 Thumb Ring Symbolisms
- 6 When not to Wear Thumb Rings
- 7 Should I wear a Thumb Ring Left or Right?
- 8 Thumb Rings FAQ
- 9 Thumb Ring Caring Tips
Thumb Rings for Men and Women
There is one thing sure about thumb rings. It has always been worn by both men and women through time. Together, let us learn more about this controversial ring.
History of Thumb Rings for Men
The concept of wearing rings on the thumb is as old as the mummies. The discovery of an Egyptian woman mummy wearing a thumb ring proves that this concept dates back to the Egyptian era. Although, in the older times, wearing the thumb ring signifies different meanings than what we have now.
Typically, thumb rings were worn to ward off evil spirits and avoid diseases. Both men and women would wear it as a protection. In addition to that, women before would wear a thumb ring from a dead husband to preserve their memory as the thumb ring symbolized love, commitment, and willpower. It can even be read on the writings of Shakespeare. The meanings of thumb rings have undoubtedly changed.
Men and Women Thumb Rings Through Time
- For men, thumb rings have been an easy option especially when they want to wear more than one ring in one hand. A ring on the pinky and the middle finger can be crowded by a ring on the thumb that is just comfortable.
- Thumb rings are also worn by archers as protection. As we all know, materials in archery are often heavy and massive so for men archers to protect their skin from any injury, they wear a thumb ring that is made with wood, ivory, plastic, metal, glass or stone.
- Thumb rings can also signify freedom. Many people believe that having a ring on the thumb means strength, independence, and individuality. If you wear a bigger thumb ring, it means that you are a more independent and free person. In this modern time, women wear thumb rings to express their freedom and independence. However, the time has defined this classic belief that associates thumb rings to free will, will power and independence in general.
- The thumb ring can denote one’s profession. Back in the 16th century, doctors and other individuals in the medical field in Europe would wear thumb rings to signify their profession.
- The thumb ring has no astrological meaning however, it has some significance in classical mythology. It indicates a strong character.
Thumb Ring Materials
Thumb rings can be made of any material. Commonly, thumb rings are made of stone, plastic, ivory, sterling silver, copper, metal, and even white or yellow gold. They come in various sizes, patterns, and designs, often matched with different bracelet designs for couples.
Thumb rings come studded, carved or engraved. For the younger generation, thumb rings made of metal and engraved with designs are most popular. It is also popularly worn by older men and women as a fashion statement.
Benefits of Wearing Ring on Thumb
In the past, thumb rings served as a protective tool. Archers used it to protect their hands from the strains caused by frequent play of their sport.
While in ancient times, the thumb ring symbolized that the wearer is blessed with high responsibility and management skills.
This practice is based on the ancient belief that wearing a ring on the thumb helps people become more focused and aware.
Many experts say that wearing a ring on the thumb helps people becoming
While there is no proven benefit of wearing a ring on the thumb, it is 100% sure that doing so enhances your overall style.
However, if your goal is to wear it and make a statement, you better checkout the different symbolisms that come with a thumb ring. But be very careful though, it is best to know the times you can wear it and not as people can misinterpret your fashionable symbol for something negative if you are not cautious.
Thumb Ring Symbolisms
It is just a ring, but it comes with a lot of symbolisms. Thus, you must pay attention to avoid being misunderstood by the people you interact with.
The ring has been a sign of social status through time. If we look through the history of the world, the thumb ring has always been a sign of social rank among men.
The man with the heaviest, most adorn, and most ornate is always the most powerful. In addition, thumb rings in China can signify the rank in the military. They are often made of jade glass.
In ancient Greece, thumb rings were only worn by the powerful individuals of the society. It showed the wearers dignity and strength. In fact, the most powerful men wore the heaviest kinds of thumb rings.
While not all, some Wealthy and powerful men wear a lot of thumb rings to express their wealth and status.
Today, wearing the ring also symbolizes masculine power, energy, assertiveness, boldness, and confidence.
Today, freedom of expression is widely accepted. Thus, it has resulted in people coming up with different ways to express themselves. One of which is the bisexual and homosexual community.
These individuals prefer to wear thumb rings to signal their sexual orientation. Wearing it on specific hands even indicate certain meanings. For example, they wear it on the right hand to show that they are single while wearing it on the left-hand shows that they are in a relationship
Individuality and Freedom
Aside from that, wearing a thumbring enhances the person’s individuality.
The unusually large sizes of thumb rings connotate the huge amount of freedom and independence its wearer practices.
As an idividual, wearing it on the left hand can also symbolize that you decide based on your thoughts, feelings, and beliefs.
On the other hand, wearing it on the right thumb shows that you process your decisions with a conscious logical thought over them.
In the past, thumb rings were worn to indicate professions. In the 16th century, Europe, doctors and other members of the medical field wore thumb rings to signify their profession.
When not to Wear Thumb Rings
Let’s face it, thumb rings aren’t common. Thus, it may be perceived negatively if you wear them in certain events and occasions. Moreover, people always tend to have prejudices in everything they see, and your thumb ring is one of the boldest things you can wear. Therefore, it is always best to stay safe than sorry. Below are some guidelines on when not to wear your thumb rings.
Since thumb rings expresses bold personality, wearing a thumbring during job interviews may come off offensive on the person assessing your hireability. Thus, it is important not to wear it during interviews.
Important Business Meetings
If you are the founder and CEO of a company and you really want to close a deal with an extremely important client, you might want to ditch your favorite thumb rings as people might focus on judging you through your thumb ring, rather than focusing on your business offers.
Should I wear a Thumb Ring Left or Right?
The placement of choice for the ring can also signify different meanings. If one wears the thumb ring on the left hand, it would reflect the person’s inner thoughts, beliefs, and feelings while if one wears the thumb ring on the right hand, it would reflect the person’s conscious and logical thoughts.
On the other hand, the thumb ring can also signify sexuality. In modern times, persons who are homosexuals or gay wear thumb rings to classify sexual orientation and relationship status.
Placing the thumb ring on the right hand can signify that they are gay and single while placing the thumb ring on the right side can denote that they are gay and in a relationship.
Not only is this placement rule applicable to homosexual people because in some parts of the world, wearing a thumb ring on the right-hand means that a person is single and on the left when a person is taken or is in a serious relationship.
Thumb Rings FAQ
We get a lot of emails of readers asking a question about the sometimes weirdly unique thumb ring. Our team put the most frequently asked questions below so you don’t have to email us. You’re mostly welcome!
What does a ring on a thumb mean?
How do I wear a thumb ring?
Thumb Ring Caring Tips
As thumb rings are made of different materials, caring for it would be different for every material. Below are some tips you may refer to:
- Place the thumb ring in a separate small pouch to avoid getting scratches from other stronger jewelry like diamonds.
- Silver thumb rings should be polished with a soft moist sponge when there is tarnish in it.
- Be careful in using toothpaste as a cleaning agent for the silver thumb ring as some contain baking soda or other abrasive ingredients.
- It is better to use a specifically formulated polish to remove the tarnish.
- For copper thumb rings that have not been lacquered, lemon juice, tomato juice, baking soda, and Worcestershire sauce can be used to clean the tarnish.
- For ivory thumb rings, always ensure it is exposed to light as its color may turn to yellow if always in the dark.
- Lemon or water can both be used in cleaning ivory thumb rings.
- For gold thumb rings, a solution of warm water and liquid dish detergent can be used as a cleaning agent.
A thumb ring is a beautiful addition to your jewelry collection, men or women! Which one do you have? Please let us know in the comments below!
Hey lovely readers! My name is Chantal and I am obsessed with everything accessory and jewelry. My husband (and best friend) John and I, have been writing content for this blog for over 4 years now started the RTP store with over 4000 curated accessories and jewelry. We are traveling around the world to find the latest products, negotiate the best prices and find the best quality for our readers. We have managed to make our passion for feeling and looking good into our work. We are always open to new product suggestion, improvements or feedback. If you would like to chitchat with me, email me here!